Monday 13 April 2009

HAVE TO vs HAVE GOT

El verbo have, entre otras funciones, se usa para hablar sobre la posesion, las relaciones familiares y otros estados, también para hablar sobre acciones y experiencias. Cuando have se emplea para hablar sobre la posesión, relaciones u otros estados es posible usar tanto have como have got.
Ejemplos
I have a house in the country.

I have got a house in the country.

I don’t have any brothers or sisters.

I haven’t got any brothers or sisters.

Do you have a cold?

Have you got a cold?

Cuando have se emplea para hablar de acciones y experiencias, NO es posible usar have got
Ejemplos:
She is having a shower at the moment (NOT She is having got a shower at the moment)

We are going to have a party next month (NOT We are going to have got a party next month)

Por otro lado, have to (3ª persona: has to) se emplea para expresar obligación externa"tener que", es decir que viene impuesta por alguien.
Ejemplo:
I have to study hard to pass this exam.

En negativo, don't have to/doesn't have to expresa ausencia de obligación, "no es necesario que"

Exercise 1: Add have, has or got to the following sentences.
1. They ___________some fruit.
2. He's ___________lots of friends.
3. I'm busy, I___________ got a lot of time.
4. This apartment is great, it's___________ a lot of space.
5. What have you ___________?
6. Do you ___________a pen?
7. Have you ___________a pencil?
8. We ___________got any juice.
9. They don't___________ much money, but they've ___________a lot of happiness.


Exercise 2: Choose have to / has to or don't have to / doesn't have to.
1. Every man ____________ to do military service in my country. It's obligatory.
2. When do we ____________ to pay for the next term?
3. Policemen ____________ to wear a uniform.
4. A pilot ____________ to train for many years.
5. Does Susan ____________ to work long hours?
6. I ____________ to get up early on Sundays. I can stay in bed.
7. You ____________ to have a visa to come to Ukraine.
8. You ____________ to do it if you don't want to.
9. My daughter ____________ to cook, because I cook for the whole family.
10. We ____________ to pay. It's free.

No comments: